Monday, August 1, 2011

The ticket

It always amazes me how one little thing can start a series of events/emotions/thoughts in motion and wind up somewhere totally unexpected.

I had a great day. Right up until the time that I got pulled over and got a speeding ticket. The cop didn't give me the tiniest break on it and for good measure also wrote one for no seat belt. So, I was angry. Very angry. Immediately the thoughts racing through my head were: 1. why is there never a cop around when you need one to help, 2. I drive w/ cruise control on literally all the time. This one time that I hadn't gotten it back on, I come across the first cop in 250 miles, 3. I know that if I had been a friend or relative or someone important I would not have gotten the ticket.

So, these angry thoughts are swirling through my head while at the same time, the good thoughts are trying their best to get in. I know things happen for a reason and this must just be God telling me to slow down. I know that I should not be feeling hateful towards the cop cuz she was just doing her job. But the bad, angry thoughts are winning. So, then I'm thinking, "well, guess you're not so spiritual as you think you are if this tiny little thing can set your off like this.  Grrrrr!

In my need to vent, I head for Facebook as soon as I get home. (never a wise decision btw) I wanted to just blurt out, I hate cops!! By the time I got home, a tiny speck of sense had returned (not much tho).
(At this point I must interject that I am the last person that will ever feel sorry for myself. I realize that I got the ticket for a reason and I am ok with that. My reaction to it was a major slap upside the head tho)

So, my FB post alludes to the fact that I have bad karma (not that I'm a leadfoot) and then asks if anyone can tell me any good stories of cops helping them out. I have really been working on improving my attitude of cops and thought some stories showing them being helpful would help me see things differently.

And I did get a couple of stories. Yea!!! And one cops daughter that was offended by my post. Sorry.

Being that I was still slightly annoyed with the whole situation (my reaction to it) I knew that I would not be able to sleep. (Finally getting to the point)

I looked through my stacks of books for something that would get my thinking straightened out. Miracle of miracles, I found a blank journal that I didn't even know I had. It is a guided journal that asks questions and then you have 2 pages to write your answer. The first question was, what's great about your life? Grrr. Well, I'm angry right now. I want to write about that. Ha ha. That is exactly the time that you most need to think about what is great in your life.

I filled up 2 pages and could have filled up 2 more. It is amazing what gratitude can do to a persons mood. Amen. I can go to sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment